cc` !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> My Dragon's Lair Sharing is the reason for my being...: Things to enjoy at Nova SE University

My Dragon's Lair Sharing is the reason for my being...

Altered and added new content 10-4-07 Important 5-4-07 No longer Child safe because of the links inside sites included here. Adult Humor is posted here. Template errors still. E shows wrong, and Netscape shows mostly correct. Activly learning HTML to correct and improve. Be it fun or serious I hope you enjoy and take away with you what I find to share. LI

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Things to enjoy at Nova SE University

This I put together for a new friend. And have added to it and edited it since then.
Overview:
The Alvin Sherman Library is located on the main campus of Nova Southeastern University in Davie, Florida. Our mailing address and telephone number are as follows:
Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center 3100 Ray Ferrero Jr. Blvd. Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida 33314-7796

Telephone: 954-262-4600 http://www.nova.edu/library/about/geninfo.html For complete information.
For Map and Directions:
http://www.nova.edu/library/about/mapdir.html

An idea for parking is to go to the Ziff Building on the corner of Nova and University and take their shuttle to the library. Make sure you take the right one.

Parking and Shuttle:
http://www.nova.edu/library/about/parking.html
Select from the menu on the right to obtain detailed information on how to get here, where to park, hours of operation, holiday closings, and alternative modes of transportation to and from campus.

My Directions: If you go from university Drive up Nova Drive heading East. You'll see a rounded front of a building just before the Maltz Building for Nova. Shortly before College Avenue.
Go down to the circle There is parking for $1 an hour in the parking lot on the right. The building to the left is the library.
Go to the front desk and say you are a Borward county resident and you'd like to get a card. They ask for you license and then you'll be free to use the first and second floor. There is a 3rd floor but I haven't been there.
You can take out 30 items for 30 days and depending on the demand for the item you can renew your item. And DVD's are only 3 days, But if you get it early and give it back late it is like having it for an extra day. For these you can take them out another time. (2).
Of course your children can take out their own items when you sign them up for their own cards. Teaches responsibility etc which I know you like.
To take out a lap top for 3 hours at a time, go near the security guy that you passed when you came in and you'll find the computer lab. Give them your drivers license and Nova library card. I set my cell for the time, so I don't loose track of when it goes back. These are Dell's and are more accessible to multiple screens than the desk tops are. But you can buy a card starting with $1 for printing some thing at .10 page. on the desk tops.

Other computers for (all are free) /unlimited usage on the first and second floor. (And there are Labs available. Which have what I like the live links to keeping your pages you are working on. Not all computers have this ability. They are strict about no cell phones outside of approved areas that you can use them.

This is the main link for Nova SEU library. You'll find the children and adult programs here.
http://www.nova.edu/library/main/
This is the adult link.
http://www.nova.edu/library/portal/browardadults.html

On the second floor there is a gallery. With photos of endangered species going on till July 20 Highly recommended. Very close up photos.
http://www.nova.edu/library/about/events/exhibits.html
Exhibits

Endangered! The Galapagos Islands, Madagascar, The Amazon, Borneo, and ChinaApril 20 - July 20, 2006 Exhibit Gallery, second floor
The Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences presents ENDANGERED!: The Galapagos Islands, Madagascar, The Amazon, Borneo, and China, an exhibit of more than 120 photographs focusing on tropical ecosystems and endangered species. The exhibit will run from April 20–July 20 in the Alvin Sherman Library Second Floor Gallery.
ENDANGERED! is a collection of scientific photographic data compiled through trips during the summer of 2005 to five unique areas of the world organized by Barry Barker, Ed.D., professor of environmental science/studies in the Division of Math, Science, and Technology. The collection’s perspective on endangered species represents the work of students and faculty who use the photographic expeditions to learn about and document fragile ecosystems.
For more information contact Barry Barker, Ed.D., (954) 262-8303 or
barkerb@nsu.nova.edu.
There is a nice area for children on the first floor.

http://www.nova.edu/library/about/events/events.html
Pdf of program for children to read books at the library.
http://www.nova.edu/library/serv/pls/Summer2006/flyp2006.pdf

Added 6/28: This is what I did today.

Wednesday June 28 : The Basic Basics: Computers for the Absolute Beginners A drop by open lab experience for adults just developing their computer skills. During each session, a librarian is available to provide one-on-one and small group assistance and advice 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm PLS Computer Lab

For Adults & Seniors Computer Classes Computer Classes
Each month a new concept is covered by library professionals - from introductory classes in Microsoft Word and E-mail through more advanced topical explorations, such as vacation planning, South Florida gardening, and foreign language training. See the Adult Programs page for a description of the computer and technology classes offered each month.
In addition to our monthly computer programs, the Alvin Sherman Library offers other learning opportunities at different levels of difficulty, both online or in person. Learn more about these classes in our
Help Section page on Training Opportunities.

There is one issue that the class keeps moving where they hold it but if you go to the Children's section and ask the Librarian who works there, she will know where to direct you. I had a lot of fun and found the teacher and two people helping guide us very helpful and know so much to share! I wish to thank these people for a very fun and interesting class because I have been wondering how to do these things! I know where I am going to be going Monday's and Wednesdays! I hope it is an on going project!

I was surprised that they were doing things considered to be advanced! Not just point your mouse and be beginners keyboard lessons! Which beginners classes do to you! And the class fills so go early to get your spot! A very popular class once you find it!

They supplied a pair of ear buds and the CD's so we could enjoy the full range of our lesson, which was to find and download and copy onto CD's the music we found. Unfortunately some of the computers speakers didn't have sound and some of our CD's had download failures. Including mine. But the teacher said I would be able to play it some where else. So I am going to try again. And they noted the ones that gave us trouble so I am sure they are going to fix the problems we found today.

So we downloaded from several websites and also from a music CD from the Nova Library collection. I was lucky and got the Bee Gee's who I do like!

To share the sites we did was the song for www.freshapproach.com Had to change computers as the speakers didn't work at the computer I was at. www.moviewavs.com and had to keep changing till I found one that did work. And then I had fun at www.wavsource.com I found Boggie's sound clips. You can not copy them to outside sites but you can enjoy them on a CD you burn, you can put it on your MP3 or Ipod. So it was a fun and good day! Find movies that you know and have fun with the voice clips. There was more but I didn't have time to explore. For sure going to! And www.mp3.com was a good one! For songs but the one I chose only had access to hear and buy. Not to be able to be shared for free. Of course that would be Gipsy Kings, my favorite.

And I found a new favorite Joanne Shenandoah. Who I know from Native Radio. She sings beautiful Native American songs that are easily learned. She is on a CD "Native American Currents". With 4 artists and I found it interesting what they used for instruments to express the music. Not only flute and drums. Very modern and I enjoyed it very much. And I found the Gipsy Kings in concert on a website that I was surfing while I waited for the class to do what they were finishing. But Rats! No concerts near me. You can find them on www.myspace.com Oh and Tom Cruize also is on MySpace and there was a clip on one of the sites we went to today with him.

Monday is going to be making T- shirt transfers! So we have to bring a white T-shirt to class! And I have already planned what I am going to do. Bringing in a photo CD I have with Tiger on it and I have to figure out the words I want to use. And yes it is going to be a color transfer!

I was next to a woman who was trying to talk to me. She met me going in the elevator downstairs and asked me if I was deaf. As she volunteered with children. I said I was hearing impaired as I did hear if some one faced me because of surgery I had. But I am trying to figure out the percentage of who I read lips and who I really hear. Usually on a land line phone I would find out fast. But that is frustrating to both parties. And I know if some one faces away or walks away I hear some thing but it is not some thing I could say what what was said. She told me of a woman she admired so I am going to look it up. A woman from Channel 2 I have to recall the name. But I know how to search for what she told me. And she asked me if I had ever been to DC Galadette. And I mentioned I had seen that the President was going to retire. And the new woman is deaf and knows how to sign and speak. It is unclear if she is going to do what during press conferences. I found him interesting and am sorry to learn about him too late. But he is not stopping his advocacy. He is going to third world countries that don't have our rights, yet.

_______________________________________________________

Events: The Alvin Sherman Library organizes events and exhibits, but also hosts events and exhibits organized by other entities from NSU, Broward County, and beyond.
Upcoming events happening at the Library are listed below. Follow the links on the right to access current or past exhibit information, or see
Public Library Services Programs to see what programs are being offered this month for Adults & Seniors, Teens, and Children.
Check out our
Exhibits page for current and upcoming exhibits.

About PLS The Public Library Services Department serves people of all ages from toddlers to senior citizens. The Department enriches the lives of every user by providing a full spectrum of materials in varied formats including books, newspapers, magazines, recorded books, videos, DVDs, CDs and an increasing selection of online and electronic resources, by providing cultural and educational programs for all ages and by providing information technology instruction which enhances the public's ability to use electronic resources. The Department strives to satisfy the personal and professional interests of all patrons.
Follow the links on the right to find out more, or feel free to contact us for general inquiries, questions about our programs, or to request general information.


One-Day Used Book Sale July 13, 2006, 10 am to 5 pm Library atrium
Pick up some summer reading at the library's one-day used book sale. The library will be selling used hard cover books, paperbacks, children's books and audio books. Cash or checks ONLY! (ATM located on the 1st floor). For questions please call the Collection Development Department at (954) 262-4542.
Public Library Services Programs . Books Over Biscotti . Poetry Series . New English Café . Computer Classes . NYT Best-Sellers List
PLS Reference DeskPhone: 954-262-5477

Desk hours (EST): M-F: 9am - 9pm Sat: 9am - 8pm Sun: 11am - 9pm

Director's Message: http://www.nova.edu/library/about/message.html
Welcome to the Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center, the largest library building in the state of Florida. The Alvin Sherman Library is a unique joint-use facility serving the residents of Broward County as well as NSU students, faculty, and staff members. Thanks to an agreement between the Broward County Board of County Commissioners and NSU, the Alvin Sherman Library offers traditional public library services as well as the full academic resources of one of the nation's major independent universities. This library was opened to the public on December 8, 2001.
Standing five stories high with wireless access throughout the building, cozy reading niches, 22 study rooms, 1,000 user seats, and a café, the library environment is spacious, high tech, yet friendly. You will discover collections of research materials, specialized databases, popular fiction and nonfiction books, magazines and journals, CDs, DVDs, special programs for children and teens, book discussion groups, author readings, and classes on using research tools and resources. Most importantly, you will find a professional library staff attuned and ready to serve your needs.
Please enjoy a virtual tour of the library on the Web page, or visit in person to meet us and explore one of the nation's finest new libraries. Let us be your library guides!
Harriett MacDougall DirectorAlvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center
[ back to top ] added 6/28 as mynavigationgation does not work as it should, on the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home